> macOS launcher code sets JAVA_MAIN_CLASS_<pid> which is read by AWT to set
> the name of the application in the system menu bar.
>
> Because this set shortly after the VM is running, it causes a thread safety
> issue described in https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8270549
>
> Since the AWT already looks for the system property
> "apple.awt.application.name" for this same purpose,
> we can set that instead of the env. var and avoid the threading issue.
>
> This trades the JAVA_MAIN_CLASS_<pid> pollution of the environment for
> setting a system property which is visible to apps as well but it seems a
> reasonable trade-off since we already (implicitly) support this variable
> anyway in preference to the env. var.

Phil Race has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit
since the last revision:

  8274397: [macOS] Stop setting env. var JAVA_MAIN_CLASS_<pid> in launcher code

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/5724/files/232bfae4..93108c59

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=5724&range=01