> JDK-8277072 introduced java.io.ClassCache, but there seem to be at least two
> issues with it:
>   - The cache cannot disambiguate between cleared SoftReference and the
> accidental passing of `null` value; in that case, the retry loop would spin
> indefinitely;
>   - If retry loop would spin several times, every time discovering a cleared
> SoftReference, it would create and register new SoftReference on the
> ReferenceQueue. However, it would not *drain* the RQ in the loop; in that
> case, we might have the unbounded garbage accumulating in RQ;
>
> Attention @rkennke, @plevart.
>
> Additional testing:
>   - [x] Linux x86_64 fastdebug `java/io/ObjectStreamClass`
>   - [x] Linux x86_64 fastdebug `tier1`
>   - [x] Linux x86_64 fastdebug `tier2`
>   - [x] Linux x86_64 fastdebug `tier3`

Aleksey Shipilev has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a
merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes
brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains four additional
commits since the last revision:

 - GC sanity test
 - NullValueTest
 - Merge branch 'master' into JDK-8280041-classcache-problems
 - Fix

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/7092/files/14835de6..88d23af1

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=7092&range=01
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=7092&range=00-01

  Stats: 1925 lines in 92 files changed: 1467 ins; 230 del; 228 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/7092/head:pull/7092