Hi Naoto,

Looks good to me, and thanks for the explanation. I agree, AIOOBE would be a separate bug with ofPattern.

Thanks,
Joe

On 1/25/22 2:30 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:
Hi Joe,

On 1/24/22 5:50 PM, Joe Wang wrote:
        The 2nd and 3rd statements defined the requestedTemplate, does it imply the characters listed in the snippet are the only ones that are valid, in other words, can other characters under the Patterns section be used? It may be helpful to elaborate on the snippet a bit more.

Those symbols represent each field, so other symbols are considered illegal as a template symbol. Added some explanation there.

        Also, the range implies a valid range for a particular symbol, if that's the case, y and w feel like they are unbound. If I do that with ofPettern, I get ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

The spec of 'year' and 'number' presentations do not have any upper limit number of letters, thus I added the '*' quantifier. Not exactly sure why AIOOBE is thrown with ofPattern(), could be a separate bug? It should be zero-padded or sign-padded.

For the sample code, it might be helpful to put them in a code snippet and with the actual java code. If "yMMM" formats to 'Jun 2020', that might require some explanation too since that would be the same as ofPattern("MMM y") for the default(US) locale, or was it a typo?. (I'm not familiar with the use of DTF, just printed out date.format(DTF.ofPattern("yMMM" and "MMM y") :-))

Well, it is not a typo and `ofLocalizedPattern("yMMM", Locale.US)` and `ofPattern("MMM y", Locale.US)` both generating the same result is exactly what this API is aiming at. Users don't need to pay attention to locale specific format pattern with this API.

HTH,
Naoto