My understanding is that when you System.exit all threads associated with
the JVM process are killed. That's what I meant by "nuclear
Thread.interrupt".

It's the same issue as was raised about System.exit implicitly ending
control flow or implicitly closing open file handles - a process could be
relying on the behavior of implicitly killing all threads and not have
another cleanup mechanism