Right, and PI with 16 digits (or 17).

On 3/14/22 22:51, Hans Boehm wrote:
Couldn't the apiNote just say TAU == 2 * PI instead? I think the fact that this is actually a guaranteed floating point equality aids clarity.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 2:33 PM Raffaello Giulietti <raffaello.giulie...@gmail.com <mailto:raffaello.giulie...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hello,

    I find it a bit disturbing that PI is specified with 21 digits whereas
    TAU has 16.
    I think that specifying PI as
          public static final double PI = 3.141592653589793;
    doesn't harm anybody and makes it visually more consistent with TAU-

    Greetings
    Raffaello

    <mailto:da...@openjdk.org>> wrote:

     >> Add a constant for tau, 2*pi, to Math and StrictMath. Since 2*pi
    is a very common value in mathematical formulas, it is helpful to
    give it a distinct constant.

    <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8283136>

    <https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/7813>