On Fri, 6 May 2022 14:09:24 GMT, Jan Lahoda <jlah...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> 8262889: Compiler implementation for Record Patterns
>>
>> A first version of a patch that introduces record patterns into javac as a
>> preview feature. For the specification, please see:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~gbierman/jep427+405/jep427+405-20220426/specs/patterns-switch-record-patterns-jls.html
>>
>> There are two notable tricky parts:
>> -in the parser, it was necessary to improve the `analyzePattern` method to
>> handle nested/record patterns, while still keeping error recovery reasonable
>> -in the `TransPatterns`, the desugaring of the record patterns is very
>> straightforward - effectivelly the record patterns are desugared into
>> guards/conditions. This will likely be improved in some future
>> version/preview
>>
>> `MatchException` has been extended to cover additional cases related to
>> record patterns.
>
> Jan Lahoda has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Reflecting review feedback.

> From the JLS specdiff
>
> > If the type R names a generic record class then it is a compile-time error
> > if R is not a parameterized type.
>
> The following snippet raises a `MatchException`. Shouldn't it be a
> compile-time error?
>
> ```
>         Box<String> r = new Box<>(null);
>
>         switch (r) {
>             case Box(String s):
>                 System.out.println("match");
>         }
> ```
>
> If this is Ok and my understanding is wrong, then why that raises an
> exception at all? I can make it work (as an unconditional) if I define the
> Box as `record Box<T extends String>` and now I am confused...
>
> ping @GavinBierman @lahodaj

A couple of issues here. (1) This should be a compile-time error. (2) upon
investigation I think there is a bug with the pattern matching code, because
the compiler is currently saying that the pattern match here: `Box<String> bs =
new Box<>(null); if (bs instanceof Box<String>(String s)) {
System.out.println("match!"); }` does not succeed. (It should do). The
`MatchException` you are seeing is that the exhaustive pattern switch has no
matching label (if you put in a default, you don't get the exception).