On Mon, 9 May 2022 09:26:58 GMT, Raffaello Giulietti <d...@openjdk.java.net>
wrote:

>> Add a family of "safe" cast methods.
>
> Raffaello Giulietti has updated the pull request with a new target base due
> to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes
> brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains four additional
> commits since the last revision:
>
>  - 8279986: methods Math::asXExact for safely checked primitive casts
>
>    Merge branch 'master' into JDK-8279986
>  - 8279986: methods Math::asXExact for safely checked primitive casts
>
>    Merge branch 'master' into JDK-8279986
>  - 8279986: methods Math::asXExact for safely checked primitive casts
>  - 8279986: methods Math::asXExact for safely checked primitive casts

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Math.java line 1367:

> 1365:      * Returns the value of the {@code double} argument,
> 1366:      * throwing an exception if the conversion is inexact.
> 1367:      * The method returns iff the argument and the result

Style suggestion: given the audience of the javadoc, rather than "iff" write
out "if and only if" or other full word construct.

src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Math.java line 1578:

> 1576:      */
> 1577:     @ForceInline
> 1578:     public static long toUnsignedIntExact(long value) {

Existing methods like Integer.parseUnsignedInt interpret the negative int
values as positive values larger than MAX_INT. So if an int is not going to be
returned here, I suggest a name like "toUnsignedIntRangeExact".