On Tue, 10 May 2022 04:00:29 GMT, Ioi Lam <ik...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> The `mode` parameter for ` jdk.internal.perf.Perf.attach()` has never
> supported the value `"rw"` since the source code was imported to the openjdk
> repo more than 15 years ago. In fact HotSpot throws
> `IllegalArgumentException` when such a mode is specified.
>
> It's unlikely such a mode will be required for future enhancements. Support
> for `"rw"` is removed. The "mode" parameter is also removed, since now `"r"`
> is the only supported mode.
>
> I also cleaned up related code in the JDK and HotSpot.
>
> Testing:
> - Passed tiers 1 and 2
> - Tiers 3, 4, 5 are in progress

I skimmed through the changes and I think they look okay. In the distant past
there were tools outside of the JDK that used the jvmstat API directly. It's
possible that VisualVM still does but it would only compile/run if
--add-exports is used to export the sun.jvmstat.* packages. So it might be that
dropping the parameter from a method in RemoteHost is noticed and I think that
is okay because this package is not exported and is not meant to be used by
code outside of the JDK.