> When generating `MethodHandle`-based concatenation expressions in
> `StringConcatFactory` we can reduce the number of classes generated at
> runtime by creating small batches of prependers and mixers before binding
> them into the root expression tree.
>
> Improvements on one-off tests are modest, while the improvement on
> bootstrapping stress tests can be substantial
> ([MixedStringCombinations.java](https://gist.github.com/cl4es/08fb581dece3a73e89bfa52337bc4248)):
>
> | Build      |    # classes    |   Runtime   |
> | ----------- | ----------------- |  --------------- |
> | Baseline |     31119       |     2.942s     |
> | Patch      |     16208       |     1.958s     |
>
> An earlier version of this patch saw a regression in the
> `StringConcatFactoryBootstraps` microbenchmark. After some refactoring along
> with the optimizations in #8881 and #8923 that is no longer the case, and
> allocation pressure is down slightly compared to the baseline on such a
> repeat-the-same-bootstrap stress test:
>
> Baseline:
>
> Benchmark                                                      Mode  Cnt
> Score      Error   Units
> SCFB.makeConcatWithConstants                                   avgt    5
> 2170.039 ?  117.441   ns/op
> SCFB.makeConcatWithConstants:?gc.alloc.rate.norm               avgt    5
> 3538.020 ?    4.558    B/op
>
> This patch:
>
> Benchmark                                                      Mode  Cnt
> Score      Error   Units
> SCFB.makeConcatWithConstants                                   avgt    5
> 2144.807 ?  162.685   ns/op
> SCFB.makeConcatWithConstants:?gc.alloc.rate.norm               avgt    5
> 3184.943 ?    4.495    B/op

Claes Redestad has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
commit since the last revision:

  Improve bootstrap microbenchmark to include more shapes, reduce runtime

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/8855/files/263db625..4221b348

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=8855&range=02