On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 18:07:39 GMT, Naoto Sato <na...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Gaurav Chaudhari has updated the pull request incrementally with two
>> additional commits since the last revision:
>>
>>  - 8285838: Cleanup of trailing whitespace
>>  - 8285838: Corrected month comparison check for TZ DST
>
> I tried several runs of CI tests and found no failures. Sorry for the false
> alarm. BTW, now I've looked the test more closely, the test can be simplified
> by using `SimpleTimeZone`, such as:
>
>  new SimpleTimeZone(3600000, "MEZ-1MESZ", Calendar.MARCH, -1,
> Calendar.SUNDAY, 0, Calendar.OCTOBER, -1, Calendar.SUNDAY,
> 0).inDaylightTime(new Date())
>
> This piece will check the current date is in DST, emulating
> `TZ=MEZ-1MESZ,M3.5.0,M10.5.0`

Hi @naotoj ,
Thanks for revisiting that and confirming it is all good. Initially the problem
was brought to my attention through a third party client utilizing this
particular TZ code, and that is where we got the basis for the need of the fix,
where we are bypassing typical tzdb access to find named Timezones such as
"Europe/Belgium" and trying to find the GMT offset and computing the time.

Is the suggestion here to substitute the setting of the TZ environment
variable, and simply getting a date based off this `SimpleTimeZone` , so as to
bypass the process creation and just have it as a more simpler test? This
sounds perfectly fine as long as SimpleTimeZone is have the zone ID setup
exactly as the `MEZ-1MESZ,M3.5.0,M10.5.0` indicated. I can try this out ...
just wanted to confirm with you how to make use of the above instantiation.