On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 22:24:00 GMT, David Holmes <dhol...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Brent Christian has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>> additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Update Runtime class doc re: other unexpected behaviors
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Runtime.java line 97:
>
>> 95:  * no {@code finally} clause of any method is executed, and
>> try-with-resources
>> 96:  * blocks do not {@linkplain AutoCloseable close} their resources.
>> 97:  * Other unexpected behaviors may also result.
>
> No sorry that doesn't work for me. It sounds like you might get unexpected
> things happening, when in fact it is things not happening that might surprise
> someone (who doesn't understand what "immediately prevented from executing
> any further Java code" means). The list of examples is getting too long to
> handle in sentence structure so I suggest an actual list (not sure of list
> syntax). Suggestion:
>

>  * Java code. This includes shutdown hooks as well as daemon and non-daemon
> threads. This
>  * means, for example, that:
>  * - threads' current methods do not complete normally or abruptly
>  *  - no {@code finally} clause of any method is executed
>  *  - no {@linkplain Thread.UncaughtExceptionHandler uncaught exception
> handler} is executed
>  *  - no try-with-resources blocks {@linkplain AutoCloseable close} their
> resources

I think it's reasonable to position these as examples and to put them into list
form.

(wordsmithing) For parallel structure I'd suggest "X does not occur" instead of
"no X occurs" in all but the first item, specifically (markup elided):

 - threads' current methods do not complete normally or abruptly;
 - finally clauses are not executed;
 - uncaught exception handlers are not executed; and
 - resources opened by try-with-resources statements are not closed.