On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 18:21:49 GMT, Roger Riggs <rri...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @RogerRiggs  - do you mean to print nothing in the "bad command input"
>> scenario ? The current -XshowSettings launch behaviour prints all data if a
>> bad value is passed to it. I was mimicking this for security subcommands.
>>
>> Are you suggesting to print the relevant part of the "java -X" help menu
>> here or is restoring the message with value subcommands sufficient ?
>
> Restoring the message with value subcommands is what I would prefer.
> I do disagree with the original choice of printing everything if the command
> is wrong and would not propagate that behavior to the new command.
> Separately, I would consider changing the existing behavior but I suspect
> that would fail to achieve consensus based on compatibility concerns.

Fair point. Modified the code so that we don't print any security settings if a
bad security subcommand value is specified. Info message instead. I'll update
the CSR on that point also.

Agreed on the compatibility concerns of changing the existing behaviour already
present in this area.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14394#discussion_r1234416659