On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:38:11 GMT, Tim Prinzing <tprinz...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> It could also be interesting to provide the `timeout` that was given to the
>>> selection operation.
>>
>> I've tried to work through issues, esp. around selector spinning, and being
>> able to distinguish select from selectNow is important for all of them, so
>> yes, the timeout is needed or else no emit when the timeout == 0 as that's
>> the case you have to filter out when troubleshooting.
>
> I've added filtering of selectNow(), and an event is emitted if there is a
> timeout independent of the threshold.  The duration should roughly equal the
> timout in that case.  I added more test cases to cover those two changes.

The select call may also exit early with 0 key selected if it was woken up by a
call to Selector::wakeup and this is not necessarily indicative of an issue in
the API. We use this facility a lot in the HttpClient as we also use the
selector thread as a timer thread.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/16710#discussion_r1425760691