On Thu, 9 May 2024 12:29:40 GMT, Adam Sotona <asot...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> I actually am not sure of the reason; it is indeed a tableswitch in
>> bytecode. @cl4es might know it better?
>
> Generally I agree with the API changes and with the
> `descriptor.isPrimitive()` test before requesting a descriptor string.
> However I'm missing the point of the other changes, which only replace this
> single `tableswitch` with something way more complicated, without clear
> performance gain.

The code I tested saw a decidedly larger speed-up, perhaps hinging on other
optimizations such as being able to avoid the `s.isEmpty()` check (could maybe
catch IIOBE) and not matching on `L` and `[` (the lookup table only needs to
deal with primitives). As it looks here I agree the speed-up is negligible and
not worth it, and since `TypeDescriptor.OfField` isn't a sealed hierarchy
perhaps we need some redundant checks.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19109#discussion_r1595873311