a few things..

make sure all nodes are running in the same 'availability zone',
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=1347

and that you are using the new xen kernels.
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=1353&categoryID=101
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=1354&categoryID=101

also, make sure each node is addressing its peers via the ec2 private addresses, not the public ones.

there is a patch in jira for the ec2/contrib scripts that address these issues.

if you use those scripts, you will be able to see a ganglia display showing utilization on the machines. 8/7 map/reducers sounds like alot.

ymmv