On May 23, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Ted Dunning wrote:
Relative to thrift, JSON has the advantage of not requiring a schema as well as the disadvantage of not having a schema. The advantage is that the data is more fluid and I don't have to generate code to handle the records. The disadvantage is that I lose some data completeness and typing guarantees. On balance, I would like to use JSON-like data quite a bit in ad hoc data streams and in logs where the producer and consumer of the data are not
visible to parts of the data processing chain.

That about sums it up. If you want schema, Thrift is your friend. If you don't, JSON probably will do pretty well for you.

-Bryan