The new scripts do not use the start/stop-all.sh scripts, and thus do not maintain the slaves file. This is so cluster startup is much faster and a bit more reliable (keys do not need to be pushed to the slaves). Also we can grow the cluster lazily just by starting slave nodes. That is, they are mostly optimized for booting a large cluster fast, doing work, then shutting down (allowing for huge short lived clusters, vs a smaller/cheaper long lived one).

But it probably would be wise to provide scripts to build/refresh the slaves file, and push keys to slaves, so the cluster can be traditionally maintained, instead of just re-instantiated with new parameters etc.

I wonder if these scripts would make sense in general, instead of being ec2 specific?

ckw