I agree that NFS could have problems. We should ideally solve the
namenode HS issue without depending on NFS.

You can run the secondary namenode process on the same machine as the
primary. The primary namenode and the secondary namenode woudl
typically require the same amount of hep memory. If you allocate 8GB
of RAM to the primary that you would ideally allocate another 8GB of
RAM to the secondary namenode.

-dhruba