Qin's question actually raises an issue-- it seems that using a
close() call, which does not throw IOException and which does not
provide the user with access to the OutputCollector object makes this
important piece of functionality (from a client's perspective) hard to
use.  Does anyone feel strongly about altering the contract so that
close() throws IOException and provides the implementer with the
OutputCollector object?