On 9/5/08 5:53 AM, "Andreas Kostyrka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another idea would be a tool or namenode startup mode that would make it
> ignore EOFExceptions to recover as much of the edits as possible.

    We clearly need to change the "how to configure" docs to make sure
people put at least two directories on two different storage systems for the
dfs.name.dir  .  This problem seems to happen quite often, and having two+
dirs helps protect against it.

    We recently had one of the disks on one of our copies go bad.  The
system kept going just fine until we had a chance to reconfig the name node.

    That said, I've just HADOOP-4080 to help alert admins in these
situations.