-smiles- It's not nice to poke fun at people's e-mail aliases... and
snickerdoodles are delicious cookies.

In all seriousness though, why is this not possible? Is there something
about the MapReduce model of parallel computation that I am not
understanding? Or this more of an arbitrary implementation choice made by
the Hadoop framework? If so, I am curious why this is the case. What are the
benefits?

What I'm talking about is not uncommon for scalability studies. Is being
able to specify the number of processors considered a desirable feature by
developers?

Just curious, of course.

Regards,

-SM