I've just created a basic script to do something similar for running a
benchmark on EC2. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4382. As it stands the
code for detecting when Hadoop is ready to accept jobs is simplistic,
to say the least, so any ideas for improvement would be great.

Thanks,
Tom