This sounds good enough for a JIRA ticket to me.
-Bryan

On Feb 3, 2009, at 11:44 AM, Jonathan Gray wrote:

Chris,

For my specific use cases, it would be best to be able to set N
mappers/reducers per job per node (so I can explicitly say, run at most 2 at a time of this CPU bound task on any given node). However, the other way would work as well (on 10 node system, would set job to max 20 tasks at a time globally), but opens up the possibility that a node could be assigned
more than 2 of that task.

I would work with whatever is easiest to implement as either would be a vast improvement for me (can run high numbers of network latency bound tasks
without fear of cpu bound tasks killing the cluster).

JG

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris K Wensel [mailto:ch...@wensel.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 11:34 AM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Control over max map/reduce tasks per job

Hey Jonathan

Are you looking to limit the total number of concurrent mapper/
reducers a single job can consume cluster wide, or limit the number
per node?

That is, you have X mappers/reducers, but only can allow N mappers/
reducers to run at a time globally, for a given job.

Or, you are cool with all X running concurrently globally, but want to
guarantee that no node can run more than N tasks from that job?

Or both?

just reconciling the conversation we had last week with this thread.

ckw