Well, that obviously depend on the RDBMS' implementation. And although the case is not as bad as you describe (otherwise you better ask your RDBMS vendor for your money back), your point is valid. But then again, a RDBMS is not designed for that kind of work.

What do you mean by "creating splits/map tasks on the fly dynamically"?

Fredrik