We didn't customize this value, to my knowledge, so I'd suspect it's the default.
-Bryan

On Feb 20, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

How often do your reduce tasks report status?

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> wrote:

(Repost from the dev list)

I noticed some really odd behavior today while reviewing the job history of
some of our jobs. Our Ganglia graphs showed really long periods of
inactivity across the entire cluster, which should definitely not be the case - we have a really long string of jobs in our workflow that should execute one after another. I figured out which jobs were running during those periods of inactivity, and discovered that almost all of them had 4-5 failed reduce tasks, with the reason for failure being something like:

Task attempt_200902061117_3382_r_000038_0 failed to report status for 1282
seconds. Killing!

The actual timeout reported varies from 700-5000 seconds. Virtually all of
our longer-running jobs were affected by this problem. The period of
inactivity on the cluster seems to correspond to the amount of time the job
waited for these reduce tasks to fail.

I checked out the tasktracker log for the machines with timed-out reduce tasks looking for something that might explain the problem, but the only thing I came up with that actually referenced the failed task was this log
message, which was repeated many times:

2009-02-19 22:48:19,380 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker:
org.apache.hadoop.util.DiskChecker$DiskErrorException: Could not find
taskTracker/jobcache/job_200902061117_3388/ attempt_200902061117_3388_r_000066_0/output/file.out
in any of the configured local directories

I'm not sure what this means; can anyone shed some light on this message?

Further confusing the issue, on the affected machines, I looked in
logs/userlogs/<task id>, and to my surprise, the directory and log files existed, and the syslog file seemed to contain logs of a perfectly good
reduce task!

Overall, this seems like a pretty critical bug. It's consuming up to 50% of the runtime of our jobs in some instances, killing our throughput. At the very least, it seems like the reduce task timeout period should be MUCH
shorter than the current 10-20 minutes.

-Bryan

--
Ted Dunning, CTO