We always share the drives.

-- Owen

On Apr 5, 2009, at 0:52, zsongbo <zson...@gmail.com> wrote:

I usually set mapred.local.dir to share the disk space with DFS, since some
mapreduce job need big temp space.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Craig Macdonald <cra...@dcs.gla.ac.uk>wrote:

Hello all,

Following recent hardware discussions, I thought I'd ask a related
question. Our cluster nodes have 3 drives: 1x 160GB system/scratch and 2x
500GB DFS drives.

The 160GB system drive is partitioned such that 100GB is for job
mapred.local space. However, we find that for our application, mapred.local free space for map output space is the limiting parameter on the number of
reducers we can have (our application prefers less reducers).

How do people normally work for dfs vs mapred.local space. Do you (a) share the DFS drives with the task tracker temporary files, Or do you (b) keep
them on separate partitions or drives?

We originally went with (b) because it prevented a run-away job from eating all the DFS space on the machine, however, I'm beginning to realise the
disadvantages.

Any comments?

Thanks

Craig