We have observed that the default jvm on RedHat 5 can cause significant data corruption in the map/reduce shuffle for those using Hadoop 0.20. In particular, the guilty jvm is:

java version "1.6.0_05"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)

By upgrading to jvm build 1.6.0_13-b03, we fixed the problem. The observed behavior is that Jetty serves up random bytes from other transfers. In particular, some of them were valid transfers to the wrong reduce. We suspect the relevant java bug is:

We have also filed a bug on Hadoop to add sanity checks on the shuffle that will work around the problem:

-- Owen