On 5/26/09 3:40 AM, "Steve Loughran" <ste...@apache.org> wrote:
> HDFS is as secure as NFS: you are trusted to be who you say you are.
> Which means that you have to run it on a secured subnet -access
> restricted to trusted hosts and/or one two front end servers or accept
> that your dataset is readable and writeable by anyone on the network.
>
> There is user identification going in; it is currently at the level
> where it will stop someone accidentally deleting the entire filesystem
> if they lack the rights. Which has been known to happen.

    Actually, I'd argue that HDFS is worse than even rudimentary NFS
implementations.  Off the top of my head:

    a) There is no equivalent of squash root/force anonymous.  Any host can
assume privilege.

    b) There is no 'read only from these hosts'.  If you can read blocks
over Hadoop RPC, you can write as well (minus safe mode).