Pierre,

Rather than try to put AUHAL into AAC format, I would just use ExtAudioFile.
Set it up so that the ExtAudioFile takes PCM as input, and AAC as the file
format. It will handle the conversion for you. You can specify .caf or any
other format that legally holds AAC. I believe that ExtAudioFile handles the
threading issues.

AUHAL is designed to talk to the hardware, so it’s not really going to support
all file formats. In contrast, ExtAudioFile is designed to handle most file
formats (and you can even add your own via plugins).

Of course, Doug’s suggestion may be even easier.

Brian