for the record, again, Ardour utilizes a completely cross-platform build
tool (waf) that runs on macOS, Windows and Linux. Once upon a time, we used
to keep an XCode project up to date with the state of things, but we
abandoned that years ago because XCode (as a platform specific environment)
offered us nothing. There's nothing special about what waf does compared to
make (other than that it is about 2000% smarter), and there's no reason why
you should not be able to build with a makefile. The actual invoked
programs are still roughly the same as on any *nix system (waf knows about
the differences; apple's make might already know them too).