From: Paul Sanders <p.sand...@alpinesoft.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 11:20:40 AM
To: Bram Bos; coreaudio-api@lists.apple.com
Subject: Re: (iOS AUv3) memory limit for AU Extensions

I guess my question would be: what are you using so much RAM for in the first
place?  Just my $.02.

Also: please define 'crash'.  Thanks.

Paul Sanders (occasional poster).

On 27/07/2018 10:05, Bram Bos wrote:

Currently, iOS imposes a memory limit for AUv3 extensions. All combined
instances of an AU extension should remain below a cap of 360Mb memory usage
(on 64 bit devices).

In all hosts I've tested with, crossing this limit will crash all instances of
the extension without warning, often leading to problems like corrupted
projects etc.

- Are there any known plans to remove this 360Mb cap? Available memory has
doubled/quadrupled since the standard was introduced, so it seems less
necessary now.

- Is there a way for either hosts or extensions to catch/prevent the crash from
happening in the first place? Something a little more elegant than going down
in flames 😉

Thanks for any insights!