If you refactor that code, could you make it easier to add the fallback?
One of the main reason I use overlayfs is to keep a separate fallback

Overlayfs may remain a good option when working on separate source trees,
but when the differences are just in the .config. it would be nice to
specify the .config-fallback, the .config-normal, run make and get a
coreboot.rom without having to manually give the file that needs to be
updated. I wrote scripts to do just that.