Hi

In patch [1] "util/nvramtool: Bail out on unaligned multi-byte entries"
was found that coreboot does not support options that span multiple
bytes and are not aligned.

I tried to fix the affected boards by this in [2].

I modes some options around in cmos.layout of some boards.This can be a
pain for users since it can result in unexpected changes in settings,
since the RTC nvram often remains the same with a new cmos.layout.

To make sure that your RTC nvram settings are correct after this gets
merged you can have nvramtool use the layout file from the tree against
which you can set settings:

nvramtool -y src/mainboard/"your_vendor"/"your_board"/cmos.layout -a

and adapt the settings accordingly using (-w).

I don't think nvramtool has an option to use cmos_layout.bin from the
cbfs of an image to change options on the RTC nvram. Such an option
would be desirable though.

In [2] an idea was proposed of a script that can automatically handle
such migration. I'm quite fond of that idea.

Any thoughts?

The affected systems are:
adi/rcc-dff
amd/serengeti_cheetah_fam10
asus/kcma-d8
asus/kfsn4-dre
asus/kgpe-d16
esd/atom15
hp/dl165_g6_fam10
intel/littleplains
intel/minnowmax
intel/mohonpeak
kontron/ktqm77
lenovo/t400
lenovo/x200
msi/ms9652_fam10
pcengines/apu1
supermicro/h8dmr_fam10
supermicro/h8qme_fam10

[1] "util/nvramtool: Bail out on unaligned multi-byte entries"
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/18246/

[2] "mb/*/*/cmos.layout: Make multibyte options byte aligned"
https://review.coreboot.org/#/c/18321/

Kind regards

---
Arthur Heymans