Le lundi 17 juillet 2017 à 10:55 +0200, Patrick Georgi a écrit :
> > So I am wondering what the best way to solve this would be. I see a
> > few
> > * Having larger fonts for hi-dpi displays
>
> I'd go with that. Plus, maybe, a function to select the right font
> given a few constraints (display resolution, desired terminal grid
> size)
>
> There are a bunch of font options with higher resolutions in the Linux
> sources (lib/fonts) that could be lifted into libpayload.

Sounds reasonable enough!

> > * Scaling the font to reach a particular DPI (e.g. based on the
> > physical
> > screen size reported from the EDID)
>
> This could be a reasonable fallback (eg in case payloads are storage
> constrained and can't ship x fonts, or if even the largest font is
> intolerably small).
> Going for integer multiples (and statically generating the fonts in
> the internal format, registering it just like any shipped font) should
> be good enough.
> No need for any fancy scaling algo either, just duplicate the pixels
> in all directions.

Yeah, that would totally do.

> > * Reducing the resolution, by optionally providing a preferred one
> > from
> > the config
>
> Besides the potential dependency on resolution in later stages that
> you mentioned, the panel may or may not work well with a lower
> resolution, or might just show the same tiny pixels - just fewer of
> them with a nice, shiny, black border.

Hehe, that is a very good point. This approach is too device-dependent
anyways.

I'll wait for more feedback before starting the work on this (I have a
lot on my plate anyway so this probably won't be a priority for some
time).

If anyone else feels like starting an implementation, I'd be overly
grateful though!

Cheers,

--
Paul Kocialkowski,

developer of free digital technology and hardware support.

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/