Hi Yannik,

On 17.01.19 13:46, Yannik Catalinac wrote:
>> Being a closed source this firmware may contain the backdoors or help
>> the backdoor-like functionality of intel me. So yes, this is a privacy
>> concerning thing.
>>> Well, don't use modern controllers (ethernet, USB, etc.) if you don't
>>> want proprietary firmware in them. But that's far from the original
>>> question...
>
> To sum it up, I have 4 possibilities:
> 1. Live without ethernet firmware and without internet

the ethernet firmware, if any, is part of the chipset and can't be
removed. You can only remove its configuration data.

> 2. Use the untrusted ethernet firmware with a small risk in terms of
> security/privacy

The bigger risk wrt. Intel's integrated ethernet is that the ME has
a device driver for it. me_cleaner can remedy this, in theory (it
still leaves unerasable ME firmware in a ROM where it's unknown if
it contains an ethernet driver.

> 3. Don't use the ethernet firmware and only use a free miniPCIe Wifi card? Is
> this possible?

I'm not sure if such a card exists. There are WiFi cards with free OS
drivers (e.g. ath9k), but I would expect them to run some sort of firm-
ware, too. Though, I don't see how that matters. The hardware vendors
can deceive you; while it makes it easier, they don't need firmware for
that.

> 4. Don't use the ethernet firmware and only use a free USB Wifi stick

USB at least doesn't give the WiFi full memory access by default. But
regarding firmware see 3.

>> Also worth to mention, you don't have to add this file or any related
>> file (ME, IFD) into coreboot. This option is only for people that want
>> to put everything into a single file to flash at once. You can instead
>> just write coreboot only, to the respective BIOS region in flash. And
>> leave everything else intact.
>
> But than I can't disable Intel ME and can't use me_cleaner?
> If I read correctly: when you disable Intel ME, you have to insert IFD and
> GbE into coreboot?

If you want to do all of that in one go and let the coreboot `make`
do the ME cleaning, yes.

> Btw, do I also have to insert EC firmware than?

No, the T530 has its EC firmware in a separate flash.

Nico