Generally, if the new code is just plain better I'm all for upgrading.
We should just make sure that it is really better from coreboot's
perspective... the needs of a userspace decompression tool may be
quite different from ours. In particular, we should make sure that
memory requirements (that 16KB scratchpad) do not grow, that code size
stays reasonable, and that it doesn't use any fancy CPU features we
might not be able to support early (e.g. SSE... or does that work out
of the box?).

Note that for LZ4 we use the exact same decompression code (from
src/commonlib/) in coreboot and in cbfstool. cbfstool always checks
that a compressed file can be decompressed again after adding it, so
by checking that with the very same code you can be pretty certain
that you won't suddenly run into unfortunate surprises during boot. If
we did the same thing with the LZMA code (currently we don't),
switching out the implementation under the hood would become a lot
less scary.