I don't think as an open-source project we can really set hard
expectations of what a contributor does after their patch is landed,
regardless of whether it's an individual or a company. We don't make
our contributors sign contracts, after all. Any work on coreboot by
anyone is best effort, and anyone's priorities may change. I don't
think this is any different in other projects (e.g. Linux) either.

I think the only thing that matters in terms of "is being maintained"
or not is at what point we remove code from the tree. To a certain
extent, every committer has an obligation to make sure that new
patches they add don't break existing platforms but of course there is
a limit to how much a single person can test and how deep they can dig
into unfamiliar code. A maintainer is mostly a person that can help
committers make these kinds of changes in a way that won't break their
platform (through reviews), can regularly test their platforms to make
sure no silent breakages crept in (and fix those that did), and can
work on supporting larger API changes that we decide as a community in
their platform (e.g. something like dropping LATE_CBMEM_INIT).
Whenever we have code somewhere that's clearly in need of someone like
that but has nobody stepping up, we should consider removing it (which
should be a case by case decision based on how much trouble it causes
and how valuable it still is).