Hi there Rogier,

Why no tint? ;-) tint patch adds a checksum verification for the
archive that will be downloaded later from Free Software Foundation
during the compilation, so no security risk there. Perhaps the only
downside of this tint tetris is that currently it's not compressed
while being added to CBFS, so occupies about 90KB if I remember
correctly, while that could be much less. Although there is a lot of
free space at CBFS (>3 MB out of 4MB) while simply building a
coreboot, if you'd like to add a lot of floppy-based OS later - even
as few as 90KB might be an issue.

It's strange that you got a variable degree of this USB issue at
different laptops, it should've been the same regardless of your dGPU
type. Seems to be a Qubes-only problem, a bit random, and might be
possible to fix if you'd read a note here -
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Lenovo_G505S_hacking#TODO_list .
Here's a copy-paste :

" 2) Both XHCI options in Coreboot menu should be disabled (unless
you'd like to add the XHCI firmware) or the left side ports won't work
at all. These options are already disabled by default and all the
ports are functioning as USB 2.0.

awokd tells:

"You may have to use irqpoll in sys-usb kernel options with Qubes OS.
USB interrupts don't seem to be routing correctly in Coreboot, and the
only way to use them in Qubes is with irqpoll in the kernel options."
"

Perhaps awokd knows more about this issue, you could try to e-mail him directly.

P.S. Hope you don't mind that I CC a coreboot mailing list, this
troubleshooting knowledge may be useful to someone else so should be
public