Robin, if you already have this M5A88-V board, why not to try? ;-)
AM3+ : if you'd go to a coreboot board status page [1] and search for
AM3, there are 8 matches - some have a fresh board status and some of
these AM3 may be AM3+, haven't checked yet. AM4 : no such boards, but
maybe would appear in the future - see [2] - but we don't know if
there would be a PSP inside these Chinese Zens.

If you are simply looking for a high performance AMD desktop
motherboard, maybe you could consider looking at some of the other
sockets? For example, A88XM-E FM2+ boards - which you could find used
for 58 usd with free ship (e.g. AliExpress) and where you could
install a powerful A10-6700 or A10-6800 APU (newer -7*** models may be
not supported). Although A88XM-E boards are not officially supported
by a coreboot yet, if you would look under a [2] patch review, aside
from a few problems this board has a pretty good working status. There
are also more powerful AMD boards like the (also libreboot-supported)
ASUS KCMA-D8 / ASUS KFSN4-DRE and especially a prominent ASUS KGPE-D16
with two AMD Opterons . And there are less powerful ASUS AM1I-A and a
few of other AM1 boards ( Athlon 5370 is the most powerful for this
socket, but it's rare; more frequent is 5350 )

[1] https://coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
[2]
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Hygon-Dhyana-Coreboot-First
[3] https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/30987