Hello Wolfgang,

On 21.04.20 16:50, Wolfgang Kamp - datakamp wrote:
> I found out that the panel backlight enable function in libgfxinit for
> Broxton platform (Intel x5-E3940) will not work for me.
> The Backlight Enabling Sequence Description in the Intel document Doc Ref #
> IHD-OS-BXT-Vol 7-05.17 says:
> 1. Set frequency and duty cycle in BLC_PWM_FREQ Frequency and BLC_PWM_DUTY
> Duty Cycle.
> 2. Enable PWM output and set polarity in BLC_PWM_CTL PWM Enable and PWM
> Polarity.

> It is also necessary to set Bit 2 in the PP_CONTROL register to "1" to enable
> Backlight Power.

did you confirm this additional step by testing? I have only tested
one board so far. It uses the second set of panel registers and I can
control the PWM output just fine _without_ touching PP_CONTROL.

> In "hw-gfx-gma-panel.adb" in the function Backlight_On only
> BXT_BLC_PWM_CTL_ENABLE will be set and PP_CONTROL setting is excluded through
> the If statement.
> Also I can't find any call of the Set_Backlight function and I'm missing the
> setting of the PWM frequency divider in this function. Most panels will work
> with 200Hz PWM.

`libgfxinit` is not designed as firmware and expects that board/panel
specific settings are already performed by the firmware. I have just
pushed a patch [1] to add the missing configuration in coreboot. It
needs to be configured in the devicetree.

Hope that helps,
Nico

[1] https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/40694