Hi Nico, Hi Paul

I tried to apply your directions.
I think I did everything except trying qemu.

A lot points to a SeaBIOS problem.
Is there any guide on how to integrate a custom SeaBIOS?

> You should flash with `--ifd -i BIOS`, otherwise the ME firmware gets
> overwritten.

IFD this collides with the --layout parameter. which one should I use?

>>      4.11-2619-gd8bd3ff197-dirty
>> It's a recent upstream revision. The -dirty, though, means you have
>> changes in your local repository that are not upstream.

3rd-party/intel-microcode wasn't up to date.
enabling USE_BLOBS updated this subrepo.
But still the build id includes "-dirty". git status shows nothing.

>>> - Kubuntu 20.4: systemd-udevd runs amok all the time. this might be
>>> because it tries modprobe nvidia-uvm.

Well, uninstalling all nvidia drivers solved the problem.
let's just ignore it for now.

[ACPI shutdown, reboot and standby]
>> These three are definitely unexpected and most likely related. Can you
>> get us a copy of these AE_NOT_FOUND messages?

Reached Target Power-Off
thinkpad_acpi: acpi_evalf(\BLTH, vd, ...) failed: AE_NOT_FOUND
thinkpad_acpi: acpi_evalf(\WGSV, vd, ...) failed: AE_NOT_FOUND
reboot: Power down
- then nothing happens

Reached Target Reboot
thinkpad_acpi: acpi_evalf(\BLTH, vd, ...) failed: AE_NOT_FOUND
thinkpad_acpi: acpi_evalf(\WGSV, vd, ...) failed: AE_NOT_FOUND
reboot: Restarting system
- after about 30 seconds it switches off.

[Grub menu not visible]
solved by setting text mode menu:
GRUB_TERMINAL=console
so it's definitely something about VESA. (SeaBIOS?)

>> - Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work?
>
> Not sure what you mean. During boot? i.e. in the payload or GRUB? it's
> up to each program (payload/bootloader/OS) running what it does when
> this is pressed.

It doesn't work from grub menu, from memtest, from DOS, from SeaBIOS
boot menu. Then it should be SeaBIOS's fault.
from passmark Memtest it doesn't do anything. Just continues to run.
from everything else it just halts (eg no cursor blinking any more), no
reaction to any input.

>>> - access to CMOS using nvramtool does not work. complains about missing
>>> HAVE_OPTION_TABLE. but both USE_ and HAVE_OPTION_TABLE are set.
>>
>> Unexpected, but there were similar reports before. Worth investigating.
>>
>>> this makes it impossible enabling the debug boot log for the board status
>>> database
>>
>> Doesn't sound like this is necessary. Maybe some outdated documentation
>> told you to do so?

https://review.coreboot.org/cgit/coreboot.git/tree/util/board_status/README

that's it from me.
I updated the logs