Hi all,

On 12.11.20 03:29, Julius Werner wrote:
> I don't think it's fair to single in on vboot as the big problem here.

it's not by any definition but, FWIW, it became one in practice. I don't
think it's because of GCC versions or anything that we should try to fix
by testing. One big difference to other build-time dependencies (i.e.
what we pull in via buildgcc) is that vboot is not (as much) focused
on portability.

Julius also mentioned elsewhere that the same issues that can sneak into
vboot can hit us anywhere else. That's generally true but, IMHO, highly
unlikely. When we work on central parts of the build process (e.g. cbfs-
tool) and review patches there, we take care of portability and keep it
to standard C, FWIW. (I know people like to use packed structs, but
that's not too funky, I guess.)

There's another issue, once one tries to fix a problem. If it occurred
somewhere in our tree, it can be fixed within the hour. But if it's ex-
ternal, it needs to be upstreamed there first, then a complete new state
of the external software needs to be tested and pass Jenkins and then
the submodule pointer can be updated. I never tried but a random guess:
for vboot it takes a month on average maybe? That's not on vboot, I know
it's a general submodule issue.

Just some thoughts...
Nico