Dear Piotr,

Am 10.05.21 um 13:51 schrieb Piotr Król:

On 5/10/21 1:45 PM, Paul Menzel wrote:

Am 10.05.21 um 10:51 schrieb Piotr Król:

On 5/8/21 9:24 AM, Paul Menzel wrote:

Am 28.04.21 um 00:38 schrieb Piotr Król:

(...)

This is one part of the problem, other is specifications compatibility
where ACPI is one that breaks things often. coreboot moves with ACPI
compiler faster then most of BSD systems, what lead to problems with
BSD-based firewalls.

Please excuse my ignorance. I am still not fully understanding the
problem, so it’d be great if more concrete examples could be given. For
example, what ACPI change caused an OS problem?

1. ACPI CPU
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/36258
here we tried to reduce problem
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/36258

That is the same URL. I wasn’t able to find the ID or the commit hash in
any commit messages in the master branch, and there is no comment in
CB:36258 referencing the fixup.

Sorry, I meant this:
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/39698

Thank you.

Above patch introduce compliance with most recent version of ACPI spec
breaking in the same way BSD (FreeBSD < 12.2 and < 13, most of
downstream firewall distros which are based on older FreeBSD).

2. ACPI hostbridge
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/36318
further reverted
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/37710
we also tried to fix problem according to spec
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/37835
but since PCS
This caused PCI detection issues.

Just to be sure, with your improvements, these issues were fixed in a backward compatible way, right?

Those are examples of problems we faced with ACPI.

To me it looks like, these tree wide ACPI changes just missed some corner cases, and would have been caught with run-time testing on more boards? It’s good to point it out though, as ACPI – as the name suggests – is an interface to “the OS”.

I would have thought, that the “payload interface” and coreboot tables
are the main problems.

Agree.
Sorry, one more question. Could you please elaborate, why you are locked with v4.0.x and v4.6.0 as commented in [1]?

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/52576/1/Documentation/getting_started/gerrit_guidelines.md#323