Brian Milliron wrote:
> > coreboot supports several or even many platforms, but not all, and
> > more than likely the support for each platform covers only what is
> > required for the supported mainboards using that platform.
>
> I see an option for an Intel Cometlake reference board in the
> menuconfig. Does that mean the platform is supported?

Yes, to some degree. I don't know the Cometlake code so can't comment
on what degree that is. But in general it's a fairly good sign that
the reference board is supported because those are not easy to get
so whoever added that support might be quite motivated to contribute
high quality, complete platform support. But no guarantee.

> It has previously been suggested to me to use the inteltool to get
> information about the GPIOs which I have done. Is this all that is
> needed or is there more?

I don't know the Cometlake platform but in general you'll need more
information, but if the platform is properly supported everything
needed may still be in the realm of what is discoverable with a
running system using factory firmware.

> I ask because I have no access to proprietary board schematics or
> other documentation, just the tools I can find on github or in
> coreboot itself. If that isn't going to give me the info I need,
> I will need to return this laptop and get another.

Nod - I hope others can comment on Cometlake specifically, but the
situation will be similar for most "mainstream" laptops - none of the
traditional mainstream PC companies provide the information needed
for coreboot work, that's always a challenge.

But again, you may be lucky and have a system where you can learn all
required information from a running system. ACPI tables can help,
maybe the tooling in coreboot can also help capture the details you
need.

//Peter