On 13.10.21 20:50, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Martin Roth via coreboot wrote:
>> ## Objective:
>>
>> Linux is expecting more and more to use EFI supplied interfaces (UEFI
>> Boot Services in particular, even if many are stubbed out) so like it or
>> not, we’re going to need to support these interfaces.
>
> LOL!
>
> This is super embarrassing for Linux and Linux Foundation, but of
> course also 100% to be expected. Linux plods along towards absolute
> uselessness.

It's just not true. It reads a bit like propaganda, but I think it
wasn't meant like that. Whoever made that up probably had a specific
Linux binary distribution in mind or something like that. If it were
generally true, Chromebooks would have to implement UEFI, all the mobile
and embedded devices running Linux would have to implement UEFI, and it
would render LinuxBoot impossible. I don't see that happening; rather
the opposite: I'm often reminded that server folks run away from EFI,
for instance.

There are a few who might actually need it. For instance if one is
in the business of general purpose PCs where any OS should work. In
this area one will always have to support legacy boot in one way
or the other (BIOS/UEFI). Maybe who wrote that is in this particular
business and "we" was referring to them and not the whole coreboot
community.

Nico