> > I have to calmly tell it "laptop=this is not a laptop" and then it works as
> > usual. I don't remember
> > ever having to do this before. Why? If I have a clue I can code up and
> > submit a patch.

This happens if flashrom can't identify the chassis type via SMBIOS
(type 3 table IIRC). Basically, it assumes that if the user is on a
system that is likely to have an embedded controller (typically
laptops) then it is unsafe to proceed since ECs often share the
firmware ROM and may interfere with the update process.

So if you can fix SMBIOS to indicate that you are using a desktop
board then flashrom shouldn't bother you with that.