On 12.04.22 23:22, Martin Roth via coreboot wrote:
> Apr 12, 2022, 12:14 by f...@mniewoehner.de:
>> Maintaining without ability to test will make it degrade, too.
>>
> Exactly.  By moving it to a branch, if someone wants to work on a platform,
> they can do it in a more stable environment.

I think it depends a lot how you define "degrade" and how the workflow
of potential future contributors looks like. Platforms that are moved
forward on the master branch without testing break, that's true. I've
not seen any platform where every patch gets the necessary testing,
though. So they all break from time to time.

And what are the patches doing anyway, that break things? Usually,
patches that touch a lot of platforms are about maintenance (e.g. keep
things building with a new compiler) or refactoring to ease future
development. So even if booting for some platform breaks, is the code
really degrading? Or did some of the refactoring actually make it easier
to fix it?

And talking about slower moving branches as "a more stable environment":
FWIW we moved code to such branches because it was in such an unreadable
state that maintenance on master was too much effort. Is this true about
Quark? IDK, but it seems nobody has said so yet.

>>> I disagree.
>>>
> Ok.  Any reason why?  I don't understand why would we want to maintain
> something that nobody uses on the master branch.  If it's not being used, it
> can just as easily not be used on a release branch as the master branch, and
> then we don't have to continue to try to maintain it as the rest of coreboot
> moves forward.

It's always a trade-off. Is the Quark code really that bad that it
is hard to keep it along?

Nico