Martin Roth via coreboot wrote:
> If we continue with this method (and for the rest of this month), I
> think we want to encourage shorter patch trains, consisting of only
> related patches.

Ouch! Yes please, for sure, regardless of the submit strategy.

> Currently, it seems like projects will occasionally build up
> enormous trains of patches that aren't necessarily related so that
> they can pull all of their patches at once just by grabbing the last one.

I can understand such a desire, it does simplify things for the
pushing developer and their testers, but then that shouldn't be
done in upstream Gerrit.

I guess for contributors who can only commit lots of unrelated
changes to a single internal branch (e.g. because they don't use git
internally) would have an extra TODO in the export to git commits. :\

It's of course unfortunate to require that extra work but I find the
benefit for the community significant!

The different "topics" in that train of commits become directly
visible and can receive individual outside engagement much easier.
I think that's unlikely to happen with commits in the middle of a
long branch.

On a personal note I find unrelated commits in a branch quite
confusing, others can of course be different there! :)

> It also sounds like rebasing all of the patches so that the entire
> train is contiguous is really needed - no more patches based on
> older versions of the previous patch.  I think the same is true for
> abandoned patches - rebase everything so that the patch train isn't
> broken in the middle.

May be - but that shouldn't be too bad?

I agree that it would be great for Jenkins to recognize when new
commits are effectively unchanged since last test so that many
"rebase builds" can be skipped but I don't have a great suggestion
for how to make it happen. Sorry. :\

Kind regards

//Peter