> Payload and OS integration is one thing. What I still didn't figure out is how
> to tell vboot to check if RW partition is valid? Imagine the platform is in
> recovery mode and I have flashed the RW with correctly signed image. vboot
> will
> not attempt to boot from RW, because of the recovery reason being non-zero.
> Thus
> the only way I see is to clear the recovery reason. How it is solved on
> ChromeOS
> systems after updating with correct RW firmware? Is there any flag (in vboot
> shared data/workbuf) to tell vboot to attempt RW check despite recovery?

Well, in our flow we always clear the recovery reason from the payload
(as part of running through vb2api_kernel_phase2()). So if you aren't
using the kernel verification part but otherwise want the equivalent
of that, then the solution would be to make vb2_clear_recovery()
available as a top-level API function and call it from your payload.

Alternatively, you could also just have your OS run `crossystem
recovery_request=0` after it has reinstalled the RW firmware.