Pádraig Brady wrote, On 01/11/2011 07:35 AM:

> Spending another few minutes on this, I realized
> that we should not be trying to homogenize the number
> of fields from each file, but rather the fields used
> for a particular file in each line. The only sensible
> basis for that is the first line as previously suggested.
>
> The interface would be a little different for that.
> I was thinking of:
>
>   -o 'header'  Infer the format from the first line of each file

I second the idea of using the first line as the basis for the auto-formatting,
but have reservation about the wording: '-o header' somewhat implies that the
first line has to be an actual header line (with column names or similar),
while it can just be the first line of actual data if the file doesn't have a
header line.

Something like '-o auto' might be less confusing.

Just my 2 cents,
 -gordon